About Me

My photo
tennessee, United States
I am a wife and a preacherswife and mother of 4 and I love my family. We moved back to my hometown with my family and I am loving my life. I love writing, art...painting, creating something new from something old and I love God. I really want people to lighten up and realize that God does love us and He cares what happens to us. Faith is the word!He has got it all under control. Sometimes He whispers and sometimes he yells, I am just trying to learn what I need to after the whisper!

Thursday, December 15, 2011

OH CHRISTMAS TREE..........!


As I settle in to a evening of watching my Christmas tree twinkle, I can't help but think back to the days as a little girl. As with most children, the excitement that comes with putting up a tree each year is the biggest day of the season...well, the first in a row of biggest days, actually. Not to diminish the start of Christmas vacation from school and the biggest day, Christmas morning to say the least! That day was special as my dad or brother would go and cut down a big ole cedar tree on the farm that we lived. None of those big city trees for us, nope...no way. And boy was I glad...that tree smelled so good, much better than the others, literally fresh cut! The tree was always huge, perfect and ours. My mamma had these beautiful decorations that she got from Germany when my family lived there during the Korean War. My daddy was in the Army and she went there to live with him. Bless her heart, she traveled on a Army transport airplane with two young children in tow. She recently told me about this trip, (these days she tells me a lot of stories from way back when, she remembers those better than what has happened today, bless her heart) when she went far away from home with these little ones all alone on a big "non luxury" plane that took her to my daddy, which made it all worth it. This was back when they were happy and even had a third child in Germany. Those were the best of times. I can only imagine the life she had there. Those decorations were beautiful glass balls and I had always loved what they stood for, beauty and adventure and a life that seemed so far away from what is was now. We also had the huge light bulbs all strung up in the primary and secondary colors, stark and bright! Cedar trees aren't exactly known for their sturdy branches so needless to say it was a effort in fortitude to get those decorations to stay and not droop. We also had the bubble lites which were my favorite...always were a mystery! The tinsel was silver and like aluminum foil all crinkled up on a string and the finishing touch was icicles. At different years(when we were older and could do it ourselves) we would make ribbon chains for garland too and had painted wooden ornaments. Our trees were the prettiest of any ones....no ones ever could compare, I am pretty much a snob about that, unashamedly so. I have no apologies to give because rarely do I profess so much surety about something about me. Even now as an adult, I will tell you if you ask me that I have the prettiest tree of anyone. A few things I know for sure and this is one of them, even though I no longer have a cedar tree, I am a city girl now and loving that fact. My sweetart husband did cut me one for our first christmas together...how cute was that? The second thing I know for sure, that man loves me, after that it is stuff like I know all four of my babies think the world of me, not bragging on me but them, they all have a tender heart and especially toward their mamma ( and dad!( I say they love me more..ha!))but We never doubt that one and I know I make the best potatoe salad....
bar none!!! Do I presume too much? I think not! This time of year brings out the brag in me and that is because I have so much to brag about...My GOD is so good to me....He has given me more than I could have ever asked for so I am only telling of HIS great love. This is my testimony of him. I am pretty sure he likes my Christmas trees the best too!

2 comments:

Favorite One said...

You are the best! :0) God really has blessed you with a way with words. You certainly brought back wonderful memories for me. I can remember laying under the tree for hours - mother had so many beautiful ornaments that many more than one hung on each limb. If you laid under the tree - you could see them all glisten. I really thank my mother for creating those special memories. As an adult, I realize all the work that was involved her decorations of the home. I must admit I'm a bit slack on this and hope that Chloe will still find as much joy out of our tree when she reflects back on this time of her life. You have inspired me to try to make it more memorable for her.

Love you Rose & wish you and your family a Very MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Fred Alton said...

Rose, you are a very confident woman! How great it is to feel loved and appreciated by your children and I know you do not exaggerate on that point... however...mine love me best! ☻